Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Grunt Work + Rant

Right now I'm doing the part of the job that no one likes, documentation. This software project I've been working on has to be documented by the time they boot me (Nov. 18th). We've got roughly, what, about 300 source files, couple of thousand lines apiece? Not a problem, I'll just skim through, and clean up the code comments that the other two gents working with me have no doubt left behind, and.......WTF?!?!?!?! Those @#$%^*!!!!!!!!!!!! The technical lead, my "boss" didn't comment a DAMN thing. The other dude, the one with ...... "issues" has peppered his code with comments like this one (method names changed to protect the not-so-innocent):

NOTE: Maybe this isn't the best place to do it, but I'm adding the following quick-and-dirty kluge. If I looked at the code more carefully, I might discover that it's better to invoke goDoStuff() someplace to accomplish this.

...and if you looked at the code even more carefully, you might gouge out your eyes to spare them some pain. I mean, WTF? It's cute when someone like Larry Wall does this, but the code from this dude just hurts my heart. Variables are passed into methods and never referenced, half-finished methods are hanging around, never called by anything, etc. The error messages read something like "WARNING!!!! Dongle has bad widget name! Do you want to continue???????" Seriously. Here's a tip to any programmer writing the text for an error message that users might actually see: users get the idea that you are serious after the first punctuation mark. If you feel the need to use multiple exclamation or question marks after your sentences, then it's time to break out the old thesaurus, because you need other means of self-expression.
Ok, my head is about to blow up, I've got to stop thinking about this now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home